Breathing Room for Teachers
Breathing Room provides an opportunity for teachers to learn practical
We focus on safety and awareness-building for every student, from working with the most vulnerable among us to serving high achievers, all while fostering strength and calm in all members of staff. No one is excluded.
Rebel Breath allows embodied mindfulness, classroom & group breathing, body-mind rehab, and more—to be shared with people experiencing histories of trauma, poverty, lost lineage, exclusion, neglect, and other significant challenges.
This course builds on the shared material of the 100 Series.
...coming to Belfast
Belfast City, location TBA
Sat 24th Aug 9am-5pm
Sun 25th Aug 10am-4pm, 2019
Who Is It For
Rebel Breath as an approach is designed to help frontline workers bring resilience-building directly into the lives of the people they work with. It embodies trauma-smart approaches that can be used in nearly any frontline situation. These practices have been used by:
- teachers, to help students cope with stress
- nurses, to help patients feel calmer and safer
- first responders, to prepare for intense situations
- social workers, to help families rebuild trust
- therapists, to help build connection with clients
- schools, to create stronger learning environments.
About the Course
This course provides an overview of how trauma impacts people’s wellbeing, and how breathing is an effective tool to build resilience. We will cover:
- Trauma-Smart, Breath-Centred Resilience Building
- Classroom best practices
- Everyday Individual Resilience
- Capacity & Strength Practices
This 2 day experiential workshop helps teachers meet real world needs with breathing practices that bring calm, focus, and help build strength and capacity.
You will be provided with a workbook
About the Trainers
Both Dani and Mark have taught this material scores of times, in many diverse places. No matter the audience, common themes are addressed first, then local needs and on the ground skills flesh out the offerings we co-develop, offering of sharing the practices of breathing well.
This first Rebel Breath series moves to assist each of us in expressing our own authentic wisdom and voice, then practice using both to share and teach breath-centered resilience practices with any audience, with special attention to serving vulnerable populations. We will practice self-awareness, timing and cueing, collaboration, word choice, within the framework of Rebel Breath's core teachings. Safety we return to from multiple perspectives over and over again. Participants will:
- engage in meaningful discussion on topics such as brilliance, self-inquiry, safety, lineage, strength, celebration, and resilience
- expand professional and personal portfolios in this field
- have a clearer understanding of individual and collective strength, opportunity, and challenges as they pertain to our self and service
- contribute to building community
- have an expanded toolbox of strategies and skills for sharing breath-centered resilience practices with any audience
Our in-person training components explores safe ways to share breathing with people going through huge challenge due to trauma or circumstance, which often overlap. It involves practicing together throughout the workshop, and in developing language for assessing our own sharing, as well as that of our classmates.
Role play, needs analyses, scenario planning, sustainability and more are all explore in safe, "hands-on" ways; of course, people are free to engage with the material in whatever way suits them. We honour every person's individual journey.